Pages

Friday, June 15, 2007

Connections

Making connections. When you come right down to it, isn't that why we write? I mean, anyone who has been in the business for a while knows the money isn't that great. Sure the brass ring thing happens on the rare occasion but for most of us, it probably won't. Mary says if you want money, you should be a plumber. And anyone that's had any plumbing work done recently knows the truth of that:--)

But...when something we write connects to another person and makes them feel...isn't that the coolest thing ever! When a reader tells us how much they loved one of our favorite characters or really didn't like the bad guy, we know we have accomplished what we set out to do.

For nonfiction writers or those who write creative nonfiction, when one of our pieces helps another person or causes them to feel, think, take action or learn something...how much better can it get.

Sure I love to get paid for my writing. And pay is one of the things I consider before sending a piece to a publisher but it isn't the only reason I write.

And speaking of connections...one of the things I love about StoryCrafters is the connections I've made with other writers. Writing truly is a solitary craft. We sit in front of our puters for hours at a time shutting out the real world. It's so great to be able to take a break and connect with others doing the same thing we are.

Today, I challenge you to make some connections. Connect with other writers as a start. Then, consider your target readers. Think about what you want them to take away from your writing and weave that connection into your writing.

Speck

1 comment:

Cheryl said...

Great post Speck! This is the major reason I started doing author interviews. Because I am a stay-at-home mom I feel isolated from the real world and social activity I got when I worked outside of my home.

Connecting with other writers gives me the chance to talk about things that are important to me, see how others approach their craft, and make some new friends.

What can be better than that?

CC