Pages

Sunday, July 03, 2022

Imposter Syndrome

The fear of being found out that you aren't as competent as people think you are.


I read that about 70% of folks out there have some form of imposter syndrome. And yes, imposter is spelled both ways. I'm not sure which is more correct. I'm sure someone knows, but I'm not going to look it up. But it's a strange thing. I once had frequent bouts of  imposter syndrome. It doesn't happen as often now but still, it does.

For example, I had a critique partner that no matter what I wrote, found major flaws. Or at least, that's what this person made them out to be. I let this person get in my head, screw with my self-confidence, and stop me from doing what I love. It took a long time for me to get over it.

Last year when I joined a local gym, I definitely had imposter syndrome. The feeling of not belonging. That's getting better too. Thanks to great gym staff, an awesome personal trainer, and time. 

So, what do you do with it?

First, realize it for what it is. It's a feeling, self-doubt. It's not the truth. Take an honest look at your abilities. If you need to get better at whatever, then do so. But don't be so hard on yourself. Which leads to the next thing.

Perfection...let it go!!! No one is perfect and striving for perfection is only going to lead to anxiety and stress. Always do your best, of course, but don't stress over what you can't control. Which brings us to...

Have self-compassion. Again, don't be so hard on yourself. 

And finally...celebrate your successes. 

For me, that means continuing to go to the gym and working out. And when I reach a new personal record, I celebrate it. Even if it seems insignificant, it's still important that I acknowledge each milestone. For my writing, I've changed to a different critique partner who knows my genre. I've also realized that I'm a darn good writer and the opinion of one person doesn't change that.

So, are you one of the 70%? If so, how do you deal with imposter syndrome?


1 comment:

Lisa said...

I am working through my fear of others seeing me as an imposter. As they say our fears are a reflection of oneself. Great article