Pages

Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Contests...to do or not to do

Most of you know of my recent contest experience but for those of you who don't, here's the short version.

A major publisher sponsored a contest in which three winners get an indepth editorial critique and possibly a request for partials. They required the first chapter and synopsis. Since this is a market I want to break into, I sent them all they asked for and began the very long wait. They were to announce winners last week. Naturally as the day approached I got a bit excited. My chapter and synopsis had been polished until you could practically see your reflection and the story fit the contest line. I was hopeful. Now, fast forward to "winner announcement day". No winners list on the website. No phone call or email of any sorta. I'm left hanging...did they not announce the winners yet? Did I not place? Did my email eat the notification of winning or possibly did they snail mail the winners and I just haven't received the letter yet?

As most of you know, I sulked about this for a day and most of another. But this reminded me of several things about contests. I thought I'd share them:--)

First...contests are subjective. In fact, very subjective. We can't really know for sure what the judges are looking for, even with their guidelines.

Second...judges sometimes wouldn't know good writing if it reached up and smacked them. Many times judges choose what they like instead of the best entry. I've seen major writing contests have the strangest, worst written winners. I don't enter many contests just for this reason.

Third...contests won't make or break your career. Sure, some contests carry more weight than others but most just aren't that important.

So...when choosing whether or not to enter a contest consider a couple things.

Is the contest one that will make a difference in the long run. The contest I entered would have given me a foot in the door so met this requirement. The Romance Writers of America have a great contest each year and making it to the final round is very respectable.

Who is judging the thing? Again, the judges were editors of the line I want to break into so it would have been nice to impress them.

What are the judges looking for? Get some guidelines and follow them. I read three books in the line then reworked my entry to meet the expectations of that line.

What is it going to cost to enter? Many contests have entry fees and that shouldn't be a problem. Unless the fee seems high for the amount given back as winnings. Some very good contests are free. Charging a fee isn't a sign of a good or bad contest, just something that should be taken into consideration when deciding to enter.

So, will I enter another major contest? Depends on lots of things. Right now I'm working on an entry for a flash fiction contest. The judge is very good, the entry fee is low, and there is a nice prize package. While not the most prestigious contest, I'm having fun writing the piece for it.

And we should enjoy our writing whenever we can:--)


Speck

7 comments:

Cheryl said...

Well said Speck. You know my feelings on contests, but that doesn't mean I won't ever enter one again. Like you, it has to be important enough to my writing career for me to even consider it.

Sorry you didn't win, but it looks like you've recovered from the disappointment and are ready to get to work on other things.

Cheryl

Jean said...

Actually, the post was part of my "getting over it" therapy:-)

But..I do think there is a time and place for contests. And a purpose too.

But gee, I think not winning is a little bit worse than a regular rejection letter.


Speck

Anonymous said...

Sure, some contests really turf.. but if we should not behind from some contests..

resource said...

I think this article is a reachable for update any story article.. if you agree with me then please give me some more update. Thanks

Hildegard Flatley said...

Web has gotten an unprecedented method of stressbuster and delight. There are gigantic number of different attracting applications and games are available on the web which can connect with you and can make you feel incredibly happy. http://www.copychecker.net/website-duplicate-content-checker/

Hildegard Flatley said...

Continuing with arranging can strengthen your occupation and can empower you pushed limits essential to your business recorded. Continuing with preparing can in like manner show obliging in displaying a couple of individuals new aptitudes and in strengthening their cognizance. http://www.grammarsoftware.info/whitesmoke-com-review/

Hildegard Flatley said...

Generally gamers love to eat snacks, for example, drinks, fries, burgers and eating a lot of lousy sustenance may in like way understands the genuine therapeutic issues like fixation. Unobtrusive sustenance and soft drink can cripple one's flourishing. http://www.punctuationchecker.org/proper-punctuation-of-titles/