Pages

Saturday, August 18, 2007

Putting Fear of Failure in Perspective

I know you are probably sick and tired of hearing from me, but I can't help sharing when I come across things I feel will help my fellow writers.

I am reading Judi Moreo's book You Are More Than Enough Every Woman's Guide to Purpose, Passion & Power and I came across a section where Judi talks about fear of failure. This is what she had to say:

"What's wrong with failure anyway? Why do we let it stop us from doing, achieving, and having what we want? Failure just means you've discovered one more way that doesn't work. Thomas Edison worked for more than a year and a half to create a better, long-lasting light bulb that could be used in a mainstream application. During that time he found 9,999 ways that didn't work. If he hadn't persisted, you might be reading this book by candlelight! If you try and still don't get the result you want, it simply means you were willing to risk, it might take longer than you expected, your goal was unreasonable, you have to do something differently next time, or you have an opportunity to start something new which is more suited to you.

Wouldn't it be wonderful if we could just overcome this fear? We know there's always a chance we will fail, so why worry about it? Everyone else has the same chance of failure as we do. We are not the exception to the rule, but we will never succeed unless we try."

Looking at fear of failure in this way makes writers heroic every time they send out a submission, even if it gets rejected. So, who are you going to be--the hero or the guy who didn't even try?

Don't let fear of failure keep you from following your dreams!

Cheryl

2 comments:

Laura said...

Cheryl,

What a great way to face failure. Thank you for sharing this with us. I think I'll add that book to my reading list.

Thanks,

Lori

Jean said...

Nice post!

Thanks for another great post and book to add to my list:--)


Speck