Pages

Friday, December 29, 2006

Romance or Erotica?

Romantic Times explained it this way:

Erotica - Contains explicit sexual content. Anything goes. Sex is the story. The descriptions are frank and the language graphic. Don’t look for a happy ending here.

Erotic Romance - The hero and heroine make love very early on in these books. No Flowery euphemisms in bed, just straight-talking graphic language. There’s a solid plot and the sex scenes are integral to the relationship. Although multiple partners are acceptable, most couples are in a monogamous relationship and there’s a happy ending.

Hot Romance - Sexual tension permeates these books, and the love scenes, although steamy, are not as frank as in erotic romance. The language and descriptions are tamer. They follow a strict romance format: monogamous relationships and happy endings.

I believe Romantic Times' descriptions are excellent.

Now you ask why I am writing about this subject. Well, for one thing, I had a conversation with a friend and she was really confused about the differences between the genres. She wrote a love scene and was really upset with herself about it possibly being erotica. I read it and no it wasn’t, but to her (she’d never written a love scene before) this was a line crossing. She had entered a place that subconsciously she was embarrassed about, which is very common not only with authors but readers also.

As for me, I write romance--Fantasy and Contemporary Romance, and I'm proud of it. Why? Mainly because I love to read it. I also write love scenes in my novels. Why? Because that is the natural flow of what two people in love end up doing. So what is wrong with that? Well, if you’re honest, there’s nothing wrong with two adults in love making love.

I don’t write Erotica or Erotic Romance. I’m not even sure if I ever will but I don’t believe in saying never. That always comes back to bite you. So if one day I do make an attempt at it, I will do so with my eyes open and focused on the story.

Each of these genres has large followings. Each one sells tons of books. It’s up to the reader to choose what they want to read. If you’ve never read any of the above genres, look them up, buy one of the better authors and read it. Then you decide whether or not you like it.

Now, as an author, I feel in my heart that to close the door to an avenue of growth will stunt my ability to write. If I decide to write Erotica one day, does this make me a bad person? No, I don’t believe so. If I end up writing a thriller, I am still the same person I was when I wrote romance. So just as you shouldn’t judge a book by it’s cover don’t judge an author by her genre.

For those who have never read any of these genres, keep in mind that just because you don’t read them doesn’t place them in the off-limits category because of the sex/love scenes. Just like in Dr. Seuss’ Green Eggs and Ham, you might like Green Eggs and Ham.

Judith Leger


Posted by Speck for Judy, home on vacation with no internet:--)

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Judy,

Thanks for clearifing the differences. I'd always thought that erotica was just that.

Lori

Cheryl said...

Very interesting post Judy. Sorry, I'm so late in commenting on it.

When you spoke of never saying never, I had to laugh. I write Little House on the Prairie fan fiction stories in my free time (whatever that is) and our group decided we had to use a fiction rating system. Well, I said I would never write anything that couldn't be read by everyone. I was wrong. Months later I did write a story between two main characters, which included a love scene which would never have met with the approval of the censors in the late 1970's and early 1980's.

Now, I don't write smut (as erotica is commonly referred to) but I can't say I won't ever do it if the right story pops into my head.

Thanks for providing such a thought provoking and informational entry.

Cheryl

mikon said...

The face of the endings are done for the struggle of the people. The use of the options of the http://www.englishgrammarcheck.org/use-online-grammar-correction-to-know-your-mistakes/ are inducted for the future options. Yes, the urgency is upheld for the movement of the items for the candidates.

mikon said...

romance and all available situations have been met for the individuals. The course of the goal and explore more item for the prisons. The factual reality is explored for the fluctuations and all hangs for the students.

mikon said...

the intellectual elite is talented for the undertaking of the issues for the people. It has been marginal for the use of the http://www.sentencecorrection.biz/use-proper-english-sentence-structure-corrector/ for all themes. The plot of the soundness is done for the mixing of the items for the better life of the humans in the wage of the elements.

Hildegard Flatley said...

I'm a squeeze stressed over those schoolkids who go to schools at any rate incredibly, their instructors don't focus on getting https://www.paraphrasingonline.com/who-can-rephrase-my-sentence-online/ ready. Their assistants should give their best in schools to improve schoolchildren's coming life as this is their first duty.

Darlene Glidewell said...

As we fathom that bearing is must for everyone. Beguilements are in like way fundamental shockingly for the understudies. In the wake of concentrate whole, the day incitements restore the mind of an understudy and make the understudy sound and get more info strong physical or sensibly. Incitements are other than essential close to course.