A day after my workstation was audited, Maintenance had come in and lowered my writing surfaces and installed a keyboard tray. They adjusted my office chair and purchased a footrest. I felt the effects almost immediately.
We don't all have the resources to make such changes, but as writers we know the importance of taking care of our bodies so they can keep up with our creative minds. Here are some ways to keep your body healthy while your mind spins a good yarn:
- Use a writing surface that is 30 inches off the ground for long-hand and 26 inches off the ground for keyboarding.
- Adjust your office chair so your elbows are at a 90-degree angle when your arms are resting on the work surface.
- Your bottom should be against the back of your chair and there should be a cushion which causes your lower back to arch slightly to avoid slumping forward or slouching down.
- Your computer monitor should be placed in front of you at a distance of at least 20 inches away.
- Use a wrist rest to reduce injury.
It is also important to understand your body isn't meant to sit for extended periods of time. Get up and walk around for at least a minute every half an hour.
The links below contain additional information about ergonomics. Stay healthy and keep writing!